CHILDHOOD CANCER FACTS
Childhood cancer is the #1 cause of disease related death for children.
- Each school day, 46 children are diagnosed with cancer
- One in 330 children will develop cancer by age 20
- Each year in the U.S. over 12,600 children are diagnosed with cancer
- Although the 5 year survival rate is steadily increasing, one quarter of children diagnosed with cancer will die 5 years from the time of diagnosis
- Cancer remains the number one disease killer of America’s children – more than Cystic Fibrosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Asthma and AIDS combined
- 80% of children have metastatic disease at time of diagnosis as compared to only 20% of adults
- There are currently more than 270,000 childhood cancer survivors in the U.S.
- Late effects of childhood cancer treatment are common in survivors, and approximately one-third are moderate to severe